Sunday, August 12, 2012

Getting Ready

We had a great weekend. It started a little early with a trip to Brevard. We needed to pick up Allen's car that we dropped off about a month ago. We took the most direct route which meant the trip was about 2 hours and 45 minutes long. However, it was a challenging drive. Not only did the roads hairpin turn every forty feet, but we were going up the mountain, at night, in the rain, in my little Corolla. Scary! That is not a drive I wish to repeat. While in Brevard, we visited with his Aunt, Uncle, Granny, and best friend Andrew. For brunch on Friday we stopped by The Sunrise Cafe. Allen's soccer team used to go there all the time. One of his teammates even has a sandwich named after him - "The Zach Melt". Of course, that's what we ordered. I can't say I know exactly what was in it, but here is what I deciphered: chicken salad, spinach cream cheese, bacon, provolone cheese, toasted open faced on focaccia bread. YUM! Each of us ate only half for brunch and the rest for a very late lunch. On the drive back to Athens we took the same route, however, it was much easier and much prettier in the daytime.

Saturday we had our first Aldi experience. Aldi is one of the grocery store options we have to choose from here in Athens. I know my mom has shopped there on several occasions, but neither of us had ever been. I think I am in love! Aldi really is cheeper than Wal-Mart! And much less of a hassel with a more pleasant clientele. What's not to love? We did two weeks of grocery shopping for $50! That's a big difference even from Food Lion! Needless to say, we have found our go-to grocery store.

That afternoon, we had our first overnight visitors. Our friends Brittney and Sean came up. They are both in graduate school at Georgia Tech in Atlanta which is just over an hour away. We had a delicious pizza lunch at walkable Little Italy (sorry, no website). NY size slices loaded with any toppings you want. The boys then walked around campus for the rest of the afternoon while Brittney and I took advantage of Georiga's tax free weekend at the Georgia Square Mall. She got a super cute dress for an upcoming wedding and I found some black shirts to wear to work at RBA. I haven't discussed the dress code with them yet, but when I was there everyone was wearing khaki pants and a black shirt. I figured that probably wasn't a coincidence so I went ahead and invested in them. I also got a pair or practical black work shoes. Cute, but appropriate for running around with kids. We all met back up for dinner at Taqueria del Sol which is also walkable. Each of us ordered something different and it was all delicious. They have a wonderful outdoor dining area with lots of fans so it was the perfect temperature.

Saturday also brought a bit of sad news. My last great grandparent, Grandmother Grace, passed away. She has been unwell for quite some time, so I do not think any of us were taken by surprise. I will not be going up to NC for the funeral since I start work tomorrow. Send some happy thoughts and positive vibes to my grandpa (it was his mother) and the rest of my family.

Today we are getting ready for the week ahead. Allen begins his first day of graduate school tomorrow!  He is excited to get back into a daily schedule, but not looking forward to those 8:00 AM classes! I also have my first day of work tomorrow. I will be substituting at RBA for the After School program. Wish us both luck on our new adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment