Sunday, September 2, 2012

Labor Day Weekend

What a great weekend we had! Tailgating, football, shopping, more plants, and plenty of sleep!


  • Saturday: 
    • Morning: Allen's program, the College of Environmental Design hosts a tailgate in the Founders Garden on campus. I don't know a whole lot about the garden but it was absolutely beautiful and apparently a really big deal in the Landscape Architecture world. The tailgate was mostly alumni, but a few of Allen's classmates were there. There was free food, which included some yummy pulled pork. They also offered free alcohol. After the tailgate, Allen and a few classmates went to the game. I could have gotten a ticket, but would not have been able to get into the student section, so I decided I didn't want to sit by myself in that big ole stadium. Instead, I went to  the Georgia Theatre. I was tipped off by a former Athenian to go. They project the game and play the radio announcers as the audio. Admission is free and the drinks are decently priced. I enjoyed the environment, but I didn't really like being there by myself so I went home at halftime.
    • Afternoon: After the game (which the Dawgs won), Allen, his friend Micah, and I went to a bar and grabbed an early dinner. We had a good time!
    • Evening: We ended the night by laying low on the couch and watching - you guessed it - more football. I was happy to be in bed by 10!
  • Sunday:
    • Morning: Allen and I cooked a yummy breakfast together. I made pancakes and he was in charge of the turkey bacon. Yum!
    • Afternoon: I was in the mood to go to the mall. I convinced Allen to go with me. Needless to say, we had a very fruitful trip! Everything we bought was on super sale! My most exciting purchase of the day was a 2 for $22 sale at a store called Alumni Hall. Apparently there are stores all around the country but this one is specifically for UGA apparel. Check out the two awesome t-shirt I picked out. Ignore the bad hair - Allen didn't tell me I looked like a mess before he snapped the pics. 

    • Later Afternoon: Then we decided to check out a plant nursery Allen's friend Micah told us about. Thyme After Thyme has been in business for the past 25 years. Unfortunately, the husband from the older couple that runs the place has fallen ill so they are closing at the end of the month. Very sad. Luckily for us, that meant all plants were 50% off! We picked out some really cool ones this time. So we now have five more plants in the house.
The two pictures above are kind of one in the same. This is a papyrus plant. The first picture shows it planted normally. What is really exciting is what the second picture depicts. The stalks can bend when the get too heavy. If you break them off and stick them upside down in water, new papyrus plants will grow. We had two stalks that were bent so they are both in the glass vase. I am so excited about these plants! 

This is called a Purple Heart. The only things really exciting about this plant is that it is purple. 

This guy is in the same family as the Purple Heart. He has purple and green leaves. If he is in the sun he will be more purple; if he is in the shade, he will be more green. I'm excited to see what happens with him. 

This is a type of ginger plant. If we wanted to, we could dig up the roots and cook with them. Way cool! What's neat about this plant is that the leaves grow wrapped up and will eventually open up. Note the wrapped leaf in the foreground. 

And this guy was just a bonus. He is a mint plant. He was free with any purchase. He will die off in the winter, but oh man does he smell good now! Can't want to garnish a dish with him! 

  • Sunday (continued):
    • Evening: So when we got home we replanted them in terracota pots. I cooked an easy dinner and made some delicious brownies which I am currently enjoying.
  • Monday (anticipated):
    • Tomorrow we plan on being productive. Allen needs to do some work for studio and I need to make sure I have my art project in order. My awesome Mommy sent me pipe cleaners, pom poms, and rhinestones. Only four more days left at Rocky Branch Academy. 

We are both looking forward having a short week ahead. September is shaping up to be a pretty great month so far. 

1 comment:

  1. nice post. This is so much more than i needed!!! but will all come in use thanks!!
    Landscape designer VA

    ReplyDelete